Taking the time to get together with and enjoy the company of our friends and family over the Christmas holidays is truly one of the best aspects of this hectic season. Throughout the year, with little kids, jobs and other commitments, it’s easy for the weeks and months to pass by without seeing people that we really care about. So, come the Christmas season we invite friends and family over to laugh and catch up, even if just for a few hours.
We try and keep things simple. Finger foods that can be prepared ahead of time, such as the ones from our family poker night menu and one of our favourite cookie recipes that we’ve recently shared at SoFabFood.com are our go-to’s. And a gathering with friends is all-the-more merry with a special cocktail, such as our quick three-ingredient Luscious Peach Bellini or our delicious layered peppermint shooters. This tasty treat never fails to impress the guests when arranged and garnished with crushed candy canes to enjoy.
- 1/3 Grenadine (red)
- 1/3 Creme de Menthe (green)
- 1/3 Peppermint Schnapps (clear)
The trick to creating the layers is in the order of the ingredients: first is the Grenadine, then comes Creme de Menthe and lastly, the Schnapps. The other important trick is in the way in which the ingredients are poured. Follow these steps for a perfectly layered peppermint shooter:
- Pour Grenadine into the shot glass, 1/3 full.
- Holding a spoon inverted over the grenadine, pour the Creme de Menthe slowly into the shot glass. Another 1/3 of the way. Clean and dry spoon.
- Holding the spoon the right side up over top of the 2 layers, slowly pour the clear Peppermint Schnapps another 1/3 of the glass.
- It may take a couple tries to perfect (oh well, more shooters to sample) but once you get the handle of it, you’re guests will definitely be impressed!
If you wish, you can garnish each shooter glass prior to pouring the alcohol. First, crush a couple of large candy canes using mortar and pestle or the good ol’ fashioned plastic baggie and rolling pin. Wet the rim of the glass in water then dip into the crushed candy canes to coat. Enjoy!
What fun family traditions do you celebrate?