We’re quite excited to get started on our coastal cottage style renovation of our family vacation home which we call Graystone Beach. Last week we shared a pre-renovation tour of the 2-bedroom bungalow along the shores of Lake Huron, Ontario. This week we wanted to share with you our coastal beach decor plans and mood board for the first room, the Orchardview Bedroom.
In true beach décor fashion, we envision this bedroom to be a calming escape from the busy city-life. We’ve selected soothing and cool blues, teals and some warm browns for the coastal decorating ideas, inspired by the sand and surf.
This small bedroom’s walls are currently painted a medium purplish-blue colour with a white ceiling. All of the baseboards, window and door trim are solid wood stained with a natural oak finish to match the hardwood floors. We plan to brighten the walls and all the trim by painting them white. We’ll also refinish the wood floor to bring back their beautiful shine.
Since we are on a tight budget we’ll be keeping the existing furnishings in the coastal style bedroom: there’s a beautiful solid wood farmhouse style double bed with mirrored headboard, and a dark reddish-brown 5-drawer tall dresser which our parents purchased in the 80’s. The bed is in great shape and we’ll simply give the bedding and pillows a refresh in a coastal color pallet, but the dresser will get a complete beach makeover!
Our DIY Coastal Beach Décor Ideas and Plans
We’ll then be adding a number of rustic DIY coastal decor accents to the bedroom to give it a truly beach inspired, lake house vibe including:
- our DIY starburst driftwood mirror;
- an upcycled nautical table lamp inspired by one found on the Sand and Sisal blog;
- neutral linens similar to this luxurious yet budget-friendly Egyptian cotton bedding*;
- a new beachy farmhouse coastal quilt and shams*;
- a small DIY wood nightstand such as this one*;
- seashore color inspired throw pillows* from our own Society 6 shop;
- a coastal dresser makeover similar to this one by Miss Mustard Seed;
- a nautical style wood sign inspired by these lovelies by The Unpolished Barn on Etsy*;
- and installing a new all-white ceiling fan*.
We may add in some other inexpensive DIY coastal wall decor ideas such as a seashell wind chime and some beachy art prints from our Etsy shop.
We’ll be sharing the complete coastal beach décor bedroom transformation over the coming weeks so be sure to join our mailing list to be notified of each new lakeshore-inspired DIY along the way!
In case you missed the pre-renovation tour of our Graystone Beach Coastal Cottage, you can view it here: