Imagine a moist and chewy golden cake coated in sweet melted chocolate that’s then rolled in coconut flakes. Yes, it may just be heaven on a plate.
This delicious dessert recipe, also known as cupavce, is one of our favorites and one that our mom makes often. Although it seems complicated it’s super easy to bake and is the best sweet treat for a potluck, when you’re going to visit friends or other special events (e.g. wedding shower, baby shower, birthday). Since they’re so simple to make, you can also have them for any day: my kids love them as a treat in their school lunches every once in a while.
You basically make one sheet cake which is then cut into smaller pieces which are individually coated. You can make the pieces any size or shape that you’d like. Mom usually cut them into two-bite sized rectangles but for Valentines day we’ve made them into little hearts which are the perfect single-sized mini cakes to share with your sweetie.
Best of all these easy chocolate and coconut handmade desserts freeze really well so you can make a double batch, freeze them in an air-tight bag or container, and then just thaw our before serving for that unexpected company that stops by. I actually love to eat them half-frozen to satisfy my afternoon sweet tooth.
How to Make Easy Chocolate and Coconut Coated Mini-Cakes
Ingredients to make the white cake:
- 2/3 cups of softened (NOT melted) butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose or cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients to make the chocolate and coconut coating:
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 cup dark baking chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 pkgs coconut flakes (or shredded coconut for a finer texture)
Directions for baking the white cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9″x13″ glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time on low speed until fully blended.
- Combine the baking powder with the flour.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry mixture to the mixer, alternating with the milk until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15-18 minutes until top starts to turn golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over-bake or the cake will dry out.
Let the cake cool completely before moving on to the next step.
Directions for coating the mini-cakes:
- Cut the cooled white cake into desired shape either with a knife (to make squares of rectangles) or using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium temperature, slowly warm up and stir together the sugar, milk and chocolate. Stir constantly until all the ingredients have melted together and the mixture has thickened. Add more chocolate if the mixture feels very runny.
- Take off the heat and stir in butter until melted. Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly until it’s a comfortable temperature to work with.
- Add half a cup of coconut onto a clean plate.
- Using a pair of forks, dip one piece of cake into the chocolate mixture until fully coated. Roll the coated piece of cake in the coconut. Continue with the remaining cake pieces.
There you go! Delicious and beautiful personal little cakes.
For more Valentine’s Day DIY ideas and inspiration, visit the beautiful collection of projects shared by 24 of our fellow Canadian bloggers as a part of the #CBValentinesDay blog hop. Enjoy!
Heart Shaped Pizzas for Valentine’s Day by Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life
Blood Orange Limoncello Cocktail for Valentine’s Day by Tara of Suburble
Ombre Cake Makeover from a Grocery Store Cake by Colleen of Lemon Thistle
Valentine’s Popcorn by Janella of Ma Belle Vie
“Warm Heart” Hand Warmers by Sarah of Flourish & Knot
Valentine’s Day Embroidery Projects by Heather of Home to Heather
Valentine’s Candy Inspired Table Setting by Andrea of Personally Andrea
Valentine Heart Strawberry Pop Tarts by Jen of Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Valentine’s Day Date Night In Gift Basket Idea by Christina of The DIY Mommy
Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookies by Shauna of Satori Design for Living
Felt Valentine’s Day Cards by Alex of Northstory
Lovey Dovey Vegan Chocolate Bark by Joann of Woman in Real Life
Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging by Thalita of The Learner Observer
DIY Valentine String Art by Tash of The Dreamhouse Project
Fluffy Valentine Sugar Cookies by Kendra of Joy In Our Home
Easy DIY Valentine’s Wreath by Laurie of VinYet ETC
Raspberry Pie Mousse Cups by Daniela of Lifeovereasy
Valentine’s Day Breakfast by Dannyelle of Life is a Party
Valentine’s Mantel by Jen of Rambling Renovators
Boyfriend Bouquet | Floating Heart Terrarium by Cynthia of Cynthia Zamaria
Embroidery Hoop Valentine Art by Christine of The DIY Dreamer
“You & Me” Wood Sign by Lindi of Love Create Celebrate
Chocolate and Coconut Coated Heart Mini-Cakes by Jane and Sonja of Sustain My Craft Habit
DIY String Heart Wall Hanging by Melissa of The Sweet Escape
Heart Shaped Marshmallows for Valentine’s Day by Christine of Amidst the Chaos