I enjoy baking and will often bring some baked goodies to events and gatherings (check out all our yummy recipes here). My Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp recipe is always a hit at potlucks and I’m often asked for the recipe. This dessert is a perfect combination of sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb in between crunchy layers. It’s a simpler alternative to the classic strawberry rhubarb pie. With strawberries and rhubarb just coming into season, it’s the perfect time for baking this no-fuss dessert. Rhubarb is easy to grow but can take up a lot of space so consider this when planting it in your garden.
You can easily substitute the rhubarb and strawberries for other seasonal fruit, such as apples, peaches, plums or cherries. This is just a great go-to and tasty dessert recipe for all year round!
To make your own Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix crumb ingredients until crumbly and press half in a buttered 9”x9” baking pan (ideally glass or ceramic: I love my Corningware French Oval Casserole dish [affiliate link] for this recipe).
- Spread strawberry and rhubarb pieces over the crumbs.
- Combine sauce ingredients in saucepan and cook over moderate heat until thick and clear. Helpful Tip: Add cornstarch to cold water and mix to avoid clumps in sauce. Pour over strawberries and rhubarb.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Serve your strawberry rhubarb crisp warm. Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for an extra decadent touch!
The best Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe you will ever try! This easy sweet and savory dessert will be a hit at your next potluck or family picnic!
If you do make and bring this strawberry rhubarb crisp with you to a potluck or office party, be warned that you may be expected to bring it to every future event! Another delicious and easy recipe that we have for such occasions is our Easy Zucchini Cake with Red Currants. Check it out!
Do you have a favourite rhubarb recipe?