Since we first started blogging back in March 2015, every now and then we’d come across this fancy looking badge on others’ blogs inscribed with “Liebster Award”. We thought, “how cool” and secretly wondered how one might receive this award.
Well, we are so excited to have found out: we’ve been nominated by the lovely Motte at Motte’s Blog to receive the award. One of the main goals of the Liebster award is to encourage bloggers, particularly ones who are new to blogging, to network, support and virtually meet each other. Well, we are so glad Motte reached out to us because a quick look at her blog made us instant fans: she’s like our new German cousin who, like us, posts projects using nature. From dominos made with stones, to tic tac toe with twigs we just love the grounded and calming feel of her blog.
So thank you Motte for finding and nominating us and giving as an opportunity to seek out and nominate other bloggers!
THE LIEBSTER AWARD RULES
- Post your award to the blog.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link their blog.
- Answer the questions you were given by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate a small group of other bloggers you’ve recently discovered.
- Create 10 new questions for the nominees to answer.
So, here are our answers to Motte’s creative questions:
1. Where do you get your ideas for your blog posts?
The best is when they come organically from either a need (like baskets to organize the laundry) or from an inspiring material like a piece of driftwood we found on the beach and turned into a Beachcomber’s Towel Rack. Sometimes the kids say something that gets our creative juices flowing like for our Pressed Petals and Rock Art piece. Our mom’s baking is a big source of inspiration and we find that we are using our blog to finally pin down and document some of her amazing recipes like Yellow Pole Bean Salad and Palacinke Rolls. Luckily, our aesthetic is pretty similar so when we bounce thoughts off each other, we can usually run with it no matter how crazy it sounds.
2. What have you learned from blogging so far?
Blogging is a lot of work but it’s work that you love to do. We’ve also learned that blogging is a world onto itself that we never really knew about. The general reader (including us before we started blogging) likely doesn’t realize how much content on the internet is generated by bloggers.
3. What, to you, makes a blog successful?
Still trying to figure this out.
4. What do you believe to be a blogging no-go?
Hmmm, tough question. In terms of things to write about we try to stay close to the vision of our blog, to create using natural materials or those materials that we already have on hand. We are trying to sustain our craft habits 1) with little cost and 2) repurposing and re-imaging items that might otherwise end up in the landfill. We were never really trash-pickers before, but it’s amazing how many useful and purposeful things you can find at the curb or for really cheap at a yard sale! We’ve had fun transforming some of these like our Upcycled Wildfire Patio Chair and Transformed Mirror and Bar Stools. So we guess a blogging no-go would be topics that stray too far from our vision.
5. If you found yourself on an otherwise deserted island, and stumbled upon two other bloggers, who would you wish those two to be?
One who could whip up a pina colada from a palm tree and the other a Swiss family Robinson type of hut from said palm tree.
6. Who or what inspired you to start crafting/creating?
Hands down, our parents. They are the true maker types from as long as we can remember and even to this day. Our biggest fans and biggest motivators. They have been repurposing creatively even before repurposing was a thing.
7. What music/songs do you like to craft along to?
If only! The reality is crafting happens anywhere and everywhere so usually that means the sounds of Treehouse or the kids playing in the background. And there’s usually at least one little helper involved.
8. What has been your biggest crafting fail?
One of our first blog posts was our DIY baking soda clay angel magnets. For some to-this-day unexplained reasons, just one of the angels on the baking sheet turned black! #craftmystery. While it wasn’t necessary the biggest crafting fail, it was definitely one of the most memorable.
9. Given the chance, who would you challenge to a craft-off – Taylor Swift or Beyonce?
We’re pretty sure we could take Taylor Swift: she doesn’t have the ninja crafting with kids moves that mom’s have, and our dance moves are way better than hers. Beyonce? That would be a close call.
10. In a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice, and why- the hot glue gun, or a knitting needle?
We are pretty big zombie fans around here (Zombie Brain Breakfast Ice Cream anyone?). Now, everyone knows that zombies are impervious to hot glue guns and knitting needles. We’d have to choose glitter bombs, straight to the eyes!
Denise and Sharleen, two sisters at Cu-rio who have such creative and straightforward projects that leave us wondering “why didn’t we think of that!”.
Chelsea at The Johnsons Plus Dog who has a beautifully designed blog with lots of earthy and practical ideas from wedding planning to landscaping.
- What is your favourite part of blogging?
- What was your first blog post about?
- If there’s one blogging task you could delegate to someone else, what would it be?
- What is your favourite post that you’ve published so far and why?
- Boxers or briefs?
- To where is your next vacation going to be?
- Is there anything you wish you had known before you started blogging?
- If you were going on the show Survivor, what 3 items would you take with you onto the island?
- What is #1 on your wish-list to Santa this year?
- In a zombie apocalypse, what food item would you want to make sure you had?
Congratulations on your Liebster Award! We look forward to your responses to these questions.