Hi friends! It’s no secret, we love using stencils for crafting here on the blog. Inspired by the look of mosaic tiles, we came up with this colorful mediterranean stencil art project for the wall.
DIY Art Using Stencils
From our succulent stenciled hoop art to our stenciled retro chair makeover and our modern stenciled table runner, there is no shortage of fun ways to use stencils! And the best thing is you don’t have to be a “true artist” to make art when there’s a stencil near by!
So when we came across this mediterranean stencil, we thought it would look great as a mosaic-styled piece of wall art. Using a set of four square shaped artist’s canvases and a mix of acrylic paints, we created this colorful display.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
- Crafter’s Acrylic
- Americana Decor Mediterranean Stencil, 8”x8”
- Stencil Pouncer, size 1/2″
- Set of 4 canvas artboards, 8”x8”
- Fine tip paint brush (for touch ups)
A Few Tips Before You Get Started:
- Protect your work surface from paint using a sheet of parchment paper.
- Don’t overload the stencil brush. Blot excess paint before applying to prevent the paint from seeping under the stencil edges.
- Allow paint to fully dry before adding another coat or changing colors.
- Gently wash and dry stencils as needed throughout the project to prevent paint from drying on the stencil edges.
How to Make Mediterranean Tile Stencil Art
Helpful Hint: Securely hold the stencil in place or alternatively, apply a piece of tape to hold stencil in place temporarily.
Paint the entire surface of each canvas in Early Spring Green color, Sky Blue, Storm Cloud Grey and Cherry Blossom Pink.
Allow paint to dry on all surfaces before stencilling.
Position the stencil on the painted canvas.
Using a stencil brush, dab the Crafter’s Acrylic white paint color over the stencil.
Using a fine tip paint brush, touch up any rough edges in the matching canvas color.
Repeat the stencilling steps for each of the remaining painted canvases.
Style together in a group of four and enjoy!
This project originally appeared on DecoArt’s project gallery.
More DIY Stencil Ideas
- Canvas art with basketweave stencil
- Canvas stencil art
- Modern retro painted hat boxes
- DIY Stenciled napkins
Like it? Pin it for later!
Mediterranean Tile Stencil Art
- Crafter’s Acrylic in Sky Blue, Cherry Blossom Pink, Early Spring Green, Storm Cloud Grey and White
- Americana Decor Mediterranean Stencil 8”x8”
- Stencil Pouncer size 1/2″
- Set of 4 canvas artboards 8”x8”
- Fine tip paint brush for touch ups
- Paint the entire surface of each canvas in Early Spring Green color, Sky Blue, Storm Cloud Grey and Cherry Blossom Pink.
- Position the stencil on the painted canvas.
- Using a stencil brush, dab the Crafter’s Acrylic white paint color over the stencil.
- Remove stencil.
- Using a fine tip paint brush, touch up any rough edges in the matching canvas color.
- Repeat the stencilling steps for each of the remaining painted canvases.
- Style together in a group of four and enjoy!