If you’re like me and have a bunch of leftover jar lids lying around; why not turn them in to a set of festive canning jar lid ornaments for Christmas?
Upcycled Jar Lid Ornaments
When canning, it’s best to replace the old lids with new ones to ensure you get a good seal. And since we do a lot of canning in our house; things like canned peaches and pickles and homemade salsa we have a good amount of jar lids each year.
Similar to these scrap fabric Christmas ornaments, we used pieces of leftover fabric to decoupage these mason jar lids. Additionally, you could use pretty Christmas colored papers or even fun napkins like we did with these wood slice ornaments. I love a craft with options!
These handmade ornaments are so much fun to make and will beautiful on your Christmas tree year-after-year. Or make a set of these festive Christmas ornaments to give as gifts to coworkers and neighbors.
This easy Christmas craft idea is also a fun way to spend an afternoon crafting with friends for the holiday season.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you choose to purchase through them, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
- Mason jar lids and matching rings of any size
- Fabric and/or paper squares
- Mod podge
- Foam brush
- Hot glue gun with clear glue sticks
- Twine or ribbon to hang
- Decorative embellishments if desired
How to Make Christmas Canning Jar lid Ornaments
Begin by cutting out a bunch of fabric (or paper) sqaures, pieces that measure about 1″ to 2″ in size.
Apply the mod podge in small sections on the mason jar lid. Attach the fabric or paper squares. Repeat process until the ornament is covered. Allow to dry completely.
Apply a second coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry overnight.
Using the glue gun, secure the lid to the inside of the mason jar ring.
Cut a length of ribbon or twine to hang.
If desired, apply decorative embellishment with the glue gun.
Enjoy Making Homemade Ornaments?
Since we think homemade ornaments are the best kind of ornaments, we have quite the collection of DIY ornaments ideas to try. Which one of these would you like to make?
- Paper napkin wood slice ornaments
- Christmas gnome ornaments
- Light bulb Christmas ornaments
- Retro-inspired felt ornaments
- Gold painted glass ornaments
Merry Christmas, creative friends!
like it? Pin it for later!
Christmas Canning Jar Lid Ornaments
- Apply the mod podge in small sections on the mason jar lid.
- Attach the fabric or paper squares. Repeat process until the ornament is covered. Allow to dry completely.
- Apply a second coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry overnight.
- Using the hot glue gun, secure the lid to the inside of the mason jar ring.
- Cut a length of ribbon or twine to hang. If desired, apply decorative embellishment with the glue gun.