We love simple craft ideas and it doesn’t get much simpler than these matching DIY rope placemats and coasters using just two supplies: hot glue and rustic sisal rope.
Making Matching Rope Coasters and Rope Placemats
One of our favorite ways of using sisal rope when crafting is to make these nautical monkey fist balls. However, it’s not the only creative way to use it, just take a look at this DIY hanging rope shelf with driftwood as an example; it too would look great with this type of rope. Sisal rope comes in different thicknesses so be sure to use the right one for your intended craft.
Another great way to use sisal rope is to make a set of matching placemats and coasters for your table setting. It adds a really sweet and rustic touch to your decor!
Disclosure: This post continues affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You can find our full disclosure policy here.
How to Make Wrapped Rope Placemats and Coasters:
Apply small dab of glue to the end of the sisal rope and carefully fold the end in. This will be the center of the placemat or coaster.
Apply another small dab of glue and wrap the rope around the start of the circle.
Continue working in the round and applying glue in small amounts as you go.
When you’ve reach your desired coaster size, cut rope end and glue end in place. Keep going to make the larger placemat.
DIY Wrapped Rope Placemats and Coasters
- ¼” diameter Sisal rope
- Hot glue gun and clear craft glue sticks
- Preheat glue gun. Protect work surface with a piece of scrap paper.
- Apply small dab of glue to end of sisal rope and carefully fold end in. This will be the center of the placemat or coaster.
- Apply another small dab of glue and wrap rope around the start of the circle.
- Continue working in the round and applying glue in small amounts as you go.
- When you’ve reach your desired coaster size, cut rope end and glue end in place. Keep going to make the larger placemat.
Like it? Pin it for later!