There is nothing cuter for a family portrait craft then turning your family into cute little penguins!
This craft is one that the whole family can get involved in, and it is great to have in the house for when people come to visit. Every kid can take pride in being part of the picture.
Create the cutest family portrait craft out there!
Seriously though, can anything get cuter than penguins?
This craft is fun because not only does it look great, but it can be so personalized. If you have kids, they can help find the smoothest rocks to use for the project. Having each child pick out their own rock is a great way to get them involved in the project- and hopefully, there are enough rocks out there that your kids won’t fight over which one is theirs!
The great thing about this family portrait craft is that depending on your children’s ages, they can be as involved in the craft as they want to be. If it is simply picking out their own rock, that’s great! If they are old enough to paint their own penguin that is great too. This craft makes it very easy for family members to be as involved as they would like to be.
Join our crafting community to find more nature-inspired DIYs and upcycled craft ideas. It feels good to repurpose, upcycle and create with nature!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you choose to purchase through them, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
- 6”x6” framed canvas
- Black and white craft paint, school glue
- Oval pebbles, assorted sizes (we also sell mini sized pebbled in our Etsy shop here)
- Paint brushes
- Diamond Dust or glitter
- Wood snowflakes
- Wood beads and twine
- Ribbon and greenery
- Hot glue gun with clear glue
How to Make a Penguin Family Portrait Craft with Rocks
Remove the canvas from the frame. Paint the frame black and let dry completely.
Apply a coat of glue over the painted frame. While the glue is still wet, paint a coat of white. Let dry.
Paint a rock for each family member to look like a penguin. You can follow the step-by-step tutorial for how to paint penguin rocks here.
Paint white snow on the bottom quarter of the canvas and then a sky in shades of gray (mix black and white together).
Paint some snowflakes white. Use glue to apply glitter to “snow” and snowflakes.
Glue the canvas into frame with hot glue. Add on penguins, snowflakes and embellishments.
More Rock Painting Ideas
We have plenty of rock painting ideas here on the blog, just check some of our favorites:
- How to Paint Penguin Rocks
- Pretty Painted Rock Snowflakes
- Penguin Family Pebble Art Craft
- Christmas Rock Painting Ideas
- 60+ Easy Rock Painting Ideas
Thankyou so much for stopping by to visit us. If you love craft kits, then be sure to check out our monthy creative habit craft box. And stay in the know on our latest crafts, special offers and freebies by joining our mailing list.
Like it? Pin it for later!
Penguin Family Portrait Craft with Rocks
- Remove canvas from frame. Paint the frame black and let dry completely.
- Apply coat of glue over painted frame. While glue is still wet, paint coat of white. Let dry.
- Paint a rock for each family member to look like penguins.
- Paint white snow on the bottom quarter of the canvas and then a sky in shades of gray (mix black and white together).
- Paint some snowflakes white. Use glue to apply glitter to “snow” and snowflakes.
- Glue the canvas into frame with hot glue. Add on penguins, snowflakes and embellishments.