Do you hold on to your wine bottle corks in the hopes to reuse them in some crafty way? If so, you likely have enough to make a set of pretty colorful wine cork coasters.
Making DIY Cork Coasters
It feels good to upcycle and using leftover wine corks is no exception. It’s amazing how quickly the wine bottle corks pile up but then again our family members know to keep them for crafting. We’ve trained them well over the years!
We love how colorful and happy these simple wine cork coasters turned out. And no need for wine charms as the different coaster colors also help to identify who the drink belongs to.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you choose to purchase through them, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
- 16 wine corks, all the same size and type (to make a set 4 coasters) cut in half lengthwise
- Felt sheet, charcoal
- Hot glue gun and clear glue sticks
- Crafters Acrylic paints in Lavender, Grasshopper Green, Turquoise, Wild Rose (or any colors of your choosing)
How To Make Coasters out of Wine Corks
Cut wine corks in half lengthwise. Refer to our post on how to make a bath mat for tips on how to cut wine corks. Each coaster uses 8 wine cork halves.
Additional Tip: Ensure the corks are cut right in the middle making both halves the same depth. Or alternatively, when assembling the coasters, use only cork halves that are the same depth/thickness so that the surface of the coaster is level for holding drinks.
Cut 4 pieces of felt measuring 4” x 4”. This will create the base for the wine corks to glue on to.
For each coaster, paint 4 wine cork halves in a different color. Let paint dry and repeat with an additional coat of paint if needed.
Once dry, begin to assemble the wine cork coasters.
Place the prepared corks on to the felt sheet in a basketweave pattern as shown with the painted corks on opposite sides.
Preheat glue gun. Working quickly and on one cork at a time, apply a good amount of glue to the underside and press in place. Hold until glue sets.
Continue with the other wine corks until all coasters are done.
Check Out These Other Wine Cork Crafts!
Remember to save your corks to make any one of these wine cork craft projects. Finally, another good reason to drink 😉
Like it? Pin it for later!
Colorful DIY Wine Cork Coasters
- Cut wine corks in half lengthwise. Each coaster uses 8 wine cork halves.
- Cut 4 pieces of felt measuring 4” x 4”.
- For each coaster, paint 4 wine cork halves in a different color. Let paint dry and repeat with an additional coat of paint if needed.
- Place the prepared corks on to the felt sheet in a basketweave pattern with the painted corks on opposite sides.
- Working quickly and on one cork at a time, apply a good amount of hot glue to the underside and press in place. Hold until glue sets.
- Continue with the other wine corks until all coasters are done.