We love pretty things and we especially love pretty things that are sustainably made. So after years of dreaming about it, it’s official: we’ve launched a new product line devoted to sustainably handmade goods for everyone to enjoy.
What is SMCH Stitched and Why?
Ever since we started this blog in 2015, we have been creating crafts we love while challenging ourselves to use what we have around us. This new line of eco-friendly products such as aprons, accessories and home decor made using sustainable materials is an extension of Sustain My Craft Habit.
We believe everyone can make a difference. Whether it’s using reusable eco-friendly produce bags or wearing clothes made from natural fibers, we should feel good about the choices we make. And we want to contribute by making long lasting products using good quality natural materials without harming the environment.
Products in Our Eco-Friendly Shop
We are more than excited to offer items that are thoughtfully and carefully designed. Items that will biodegrade naturally once the product has reached the end of its life cycle. We are dedicated to creating beautiful zero-waste products for all to enjoy.
Fabrics made of sustainable fibers such as hemp and organic cotton along with other natural elements like wood will be the core materials for our shop.
I am a life-long sewist and craftist that together with my sister Jane, has turned a hobby into a small business.
Having created products in the apparel industry for my entire professional career, I have become aware of how the decisions we make can impact the environment. Certain materials that are sustainably made are safe for the planet will others create more harm than good.
Did You Know?
- The fashion and textile industry is considered one of the world’s top polluters (second only to the oil industry).
- “Sustainable clothing refers to fabrics derived from eco-friendly resources, such as sustainably grown fiber crops or recycled materials.” Source: Wikipedia
- Fibers are what make up a fabric. Types of sustainable fibers include hemp, organic cotton, wood pulp, flax and wool.
- Hemp has been grown since 8000BC and was the first plant used for textiles. It requires no pesticides or herbicides and is the most durable of all natural fibers. Naturally UV resistant.
- Traditionally grown cotton on the other hand, uses more insecticides than any other single crop UNLESS it is certified organic cotton which is made responsibly and sustainably.
- Wood pulp fiber, specifically TencelTM is one of the most environmentally friendly regenerated fabrics.
- Growing flax, especially organic flax to make linen fabric is a sustainable process using less water and pesticide than cotton. Source: CFDA
- Wool is possibly one of the oldest fibers known to humans and “it is rapidly renewable, biodegradable, recyclable, and can be produced organically.” Source: The Guardian
- “Choosing apparel made from natural materials reduces the time it takes to break down and return to the earth.” Source: CottonWorks
Our mission for SMCH Stitched:
Helping people feel good about the things they buy, through thoughtfully designed products using natural and sustainably-made, high-quality materials.
We hope that you’ll consider shopping SMCH Stitched for your holiday gifting needs. We are also working hard to ensure that all our packaging is recyclable and biodegradable as well!
Even if you aren’t shopping, we’d love if you’d stop by the shop and “favorite” it, or Pin some items from the shop to your Pinterest boards.
Happy sustainable shopping friends!
Like it? Pin it for later!