When I came upon a thrifted straw beach purse recently, I thought it would make simple and fun Valentine’s Day decor for my front door. See how I used a few elements from around my home to transform this purse into something new.
Making an Upcycled Valentines Decoration
In the gray and drab of winter, I find myself craving some soft and pretty colors this time of year. I’m not quite yet ready to go full spring with the decorating though so I thought I’d make something that would be a great transition and perfect for Valentine’s Day.
I can’t even remember when we picked up the straw purse from the local thrift store near the cottage. We did use it in the Summer for some beach supplies but it was looking kind of sad collecting dust in the closet. When I also came across this cute wooden LOVE cutout that used to be in my daughter’s room, the idea came to life.
It’s perfect because as we are all more at home now, not able to really shop, we are also trying to save money by using what we have at home for crafting and decorating. We do have lots of great upcycling projects that we’ve shared recently including:
Stay tuned because we have plans for more upcycling projects coming up!
Okay so let’s get started on this upcycled Valentine decoration idea.
How to Make a Valentine’s Day Front Door Hanging:
If you’d like to watch the video version, we have it here for you, otherwise keep scrolling for the written version of this tutorial.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
- Straw purse with handles
- Paper or other filler for the purse
- Wood LOVE cut out
- Gold paint
- Paint brush
- Faux sweetheart roses in yellow and soft pink
- Fresh boxwood or other faux greenery
- Large silk Peonies and or Dahlias
- Small wood heart cutouts
- Wood dowel
- Hot glue gun with clear craft glue
How to Make an Upcycled Straw Purse Valentine’s Decor
Start by making sure that your purse is clean and dust free.
Fill the purse with your filler material.
Place the largest flower you have towards the front centre of your purse, having it overhang slightly on the outside edge.
Place any of your smaller flowers around and behind the larger one. Tuck in any other larger flowers at the side to fill in the arrangement.
Place greenery in between the flowers.
Paint the bottom third of the purse with one to two coats of gold paint. Let dry completely.
Paint the small wood heart cutouts and dowel with gold paint. Let dry completely.
If you have a hanging wood cutout place it on the front of your purse, a little bit off centre. Use a bit of hot glue to secure it in place.
Glue some of the small hearts on to the front of the purse.
Glue others onto a dowel to create a pretty pick. Tuck that into the arrangement.
Take a step back and look at your arrangement. Make any needed adjustments to ensure it’s symmetrical and full.
Hang and enjoy!
I really do love how this arrangement turned out. It has so many colours without being overpowering and the straw purse itself has great texture with the weaving as do the different sized flowers and greenery.
I will definitely be keeping this piece up well through Valentines and into the spring.
I hope you liked this upcycling Valentine’s Day wall hanging idea. For additional Valentine’s Day crafts check out these projects:
- Valentine decor with scrap wood
- Wreath with scrap fabric hearts
- Pine cone roses
- Mason jar candle holders
- Valentine’s gift jars
- Valentine’s day coloring bookmarks
Happy Valentine’s friends!
Like it? Pin it for later!
Upcycled Straw Purse Valentine’s Decor
- straw purse with handles
- paper or other filler for the purse
- wood LOVE cut out
- gold paint
- paint brush
- faux sweetheart roses in yellow and soft pink
- fresh boxwood or other faux greenery
- large silk peonies and or dahlias
- small wood heart cutouts
- wood dowel
- hot glue gun with clear craft glue
- Fill the purse with your filler material.
- Place the largest flower you have towards the front centre of your purse, having it overhang slightly on the outside edge.
- Place any of your smaller flowers around and behind the larger one.
- Place greenery in between the flowers.
- Paint the bottom third of the purse with one to two coats of gold paint. Let dry completely.
- Paint the small wood heart cutouts and dowell with gold paint. Let dry completely.
- If you have a hanging wood cutout place it on the front of your purse, a little bit off centre.
- Glue some of the small hearts on to the front of the purse.
- Glue others onto a dowel to create a pretty pick. Tuck that into the arrangement.
- Hang and enjoy!